Wednesday, May 28, 2014

The End of an Era

For the past 30 years my dad has worked at UAB. However, his UAB career started when he started school there. May 30th will be his last day. It's hard to believe that UAB won't be an everyday part of his life. Essentially it's been a part of him since he first set foot on campus. He met my mother there at the BCM, all 3 children attended UAB and obtained degrees as well as our significant others! Between the 8 adults (Jody included) we have 14 degrees! We bleed green and gold, so to say UAB is a part of us is an understatement.

Last Tuesday I checked Emory out of school at 11 picked Gavin up on my way to met Chase, and headed to Birmingham. My dad's retirement party/reception was held at the alumni house (where all our names are on a door--I'm telling you, UAB is a part of us). It was a wonderful reception and it was great seeing people that I worked with when I was in school.

The president presenting Dad with his gift.

Dad giving his speech...this is where he spoke about the history of UAB in our lives. "I guess you could say that UAB is responsible for the exponential growth of my family."

Pep band and cheerleaders.

Riley was NOT a fan of the band.

Gavin and Eva were not fans of Blaze...they were seeking refuge with their daddies!

Picture time for Mom and Dad.

Gavin was a little intimidated by the cheerleaders.

Family photo op.

Nannie and Pop with Riley

Dad and Linda started out as students and both moved up in the ranks. Dad is retiring as the CIO and Linda is the current Provost.

Center piece...couldn't decide if I liked it!

Love this girl!

"You see Eva, my shoe came off!" The grandkids pretty much ran the place. There are 7 of them, well, 5 that are mobile.

Gran and Riley
While driving down and back in one night made for a LONG night and a rough morning, we wouldn't have missed it! I am so proud of my dad and all that he has accomplished. I don't think he will sit idle for long! One reason being his first task at home is going to be taking care of my mom after hip replacement surgery! He may want to go back to work after a week at home! Hehe!

No comments: