Tuesday, August 11, 2009

A LONG Work in Progress


I forgot to take a "real" before picture. Imagine dead bushes everywhere you see a blank spot. And don't even get my started on that thing on the left. I have NO idea what it is and how it got that bad. The guy that lived here before cared NOTHING for the yard.


After Chase had pulled all the bushes up and was laying down the "wall." We thought we might replant a few of the bushes but decided otherwise.


Waiting on the mulch.


The wall Chase built turned out VERY well.


The finished product. The bushes look so puny next to the house but I am sure they will begin to take over during the years we live here.

So we started this project a month ago. I say we but really I only watched, picked out the bushes and flowers, and refilled Chase's water jug. Chase did ALL the work. I tried to help but mainly just got in the way. It took a month to get this project completed but it wasn't from lack of trying. We still don't own a trailer so we had to borrow one from one of Chase's coworkers when it was available. A month ago, Chase pulled up all the bushes, a week later he went to Lowes and bought the landscaping stones to build the wall, that same weekend he found fill dirt to help build everything up to the height of the new wall. It stayed like that for about two weeks or so until we were both off and had the trailer available to us. So these last two days (while Chase has been off for his birthday) he bought top soil and laid it out, we went to Lowes (which is located right by our house now), picked out the plants, he planted them and laid the mulch today. It looks SO much better. Now I just have to keep it alive! I don't exactly have a green thumb so I hope I don't kill it all!

We still have a few things we would like to do to the yard but just don't have the time plus it's so expensive! Anyway, I would like something more attractive to put the water hose in so it's not on that ugly hose reel smack dab in the middle of my new bushes. It wasn't a problem before because the bushes were SO overgrown and ugly that they hid the ugly hose reel. Anyway, we also have two trees in the front yard that I would like to plant flowers beneath. Again time and money are always an issue. The other flowers my have to wait until next spring but I'm hoping to get the other thing for Christmas. :)

3 comments:

Zack and Brittany said...

The yard looks great! Zack would be so proud :) and HAPPY BIRTHDAY Chase!! Hope you guys are doing great!!

Mandy and Cole said...

Wow Chase! I am very impressed! Want to help your brother-in-law do my yard?

Katie & Frank said...

Erin it looks awesome! Tell Chase he did a great job!