Sunday, August 17, 2014

Let's Be Honest

I'm tired. I'm stressed. I'm overwhelmed. I miss my family and friends. I miss our church. I miss home. 

Moving is hard. And we've done it twice in the last 2.5 months. The first move was with a lot less stuff since we were moving into a furnished apartment, but it was still a move and with 3 young kids it's even harder.

I have felt like the last 7 weeks have been an extended vacation. I keep thinking I will see my family next weekend when we drive down "just because" or I will call Jess because I'm "bored" and need my partner in crime to make some new jam or jelly recipe I found or to visit a new store in Nashville. But you know how towards the end of your vacation, you just want to go home. You're ready for the comfort of your bed and your stuff. Ready for the familiarity and the structure of home. The other night when the kids were driving my crazy and I felt like I couldn't get a handle on anything, I almost screamed "I just want to go home" before I realized, we are home. 

While the weeks have flown by, I still feel like I have a small hole that isn't being filled. Our nights in the apartment were spent going to the pool and on the weekends we went to the beach, because that's what you do when you live an hour from the coast. We had great family time and didn't seem to have a care in the world. We found our perfect house and moved in 2.5 weeks ago. For the last 2.5 weeks reality has begun to set in. This is our new home and our friends and family are 9 hours away! Gosh I miss them! 

Now don't get me wrong, we have really enjoyed our time here. I went into this move with a good attitude, not at first I will admit. But I decided that this move would be what we put into it. If I went in with a bad attitude and believing this was going to be horrible, then yes, it would be horrible. But if I went into this move with a good attitude and made the best of it, then "good" would happen. For the last 3 days my devotion has been on our emotions and thoughts. We can choose to act on our negative emotions or thoughts or we can choose the positive. I choose the positive. And while it's not always easy I know that this is where we are suppose to be. So I can worry myself sick about school starting back on Monday and let my negative thoughts take over, OR I can trust God knowing His plan is perfect. He will never leave us nor forsake us. I have certainly needed that reminder. With school starting back it means this is real life. New state, new city, new house, new school. It's a lot to take in and a bit overwhelming at times. 

We have been working tirelessly the last 2.5 weeks to make this house our home. Most of the boxes are unpacked and we are beginning to settle in. Things are slowly going up on the walls and our personal touches are being placed throughout the house. I'm sure missing our friends and family will not go away anytime soon, well...ever...but Goldsboro will start to feel like home as our day to day routine returns. I promise to post pictures of the house soon but I'm a perfectionist and I need everything in order before I can post! 

No comments: