Saturday, July 12, 2014

Cliffs of the Neuse

We are spending our weekends exploring our new state. Last week we went to the beach and to Raleigh and this weekend we hiked. I have to say this was not our favorite hike. In fact it is probably in the bottom 2. I think hiking to various waterfalls around Tennessee has spoiled us! It was a nice work out but very hot. Especially when you have a kid strapped to you! 


This was our major issue with the hike. Those ants don't march one by one! They were everywhere. Apparently the humid climate of the Neuse is exactly what the carpenter ants like. If we ever do this hike again we will be wearing tennis shoes and not chacos, not the best shoe choice for this hike and we were all wearing them. They say they have 2 trails that are "ant free" maybe we can try those next time!


 


This is the Neuse river...I think. Or at the very least it feeds into the Neuse.


I thought these things were very interesting. Not really sure what they are but they were all along the banks of a little creek that fed into the river. 



This is the designated swimming area in the background of this picture. We had plans to go but Emory was over the hike 5 minutes in and in tears over those dang ants! She is not a bug fan. I can't say I cared for them either but we are talking big tears! Poor thing!


Isn't she cute?! She was slightly dazed since I woke her up getting her out of the carrier and into her car seat. 

Who knows what next weekend will bring. I'm thinking either back to Raleigh to explore or to a new beach! 






2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Hey Erin,

The Museum of Natural Sciences in downtown Raleigh is neat, and it's free to get it. We took my cousin a few years ago and really enjoyed it! Something for your future weekend plans maybe. Love reading about your fam and your adventures together!

Elizabeth said...

Hey Erin,
Check out the Museum of Natural Sciences in downtown Raleigh. We took my cousin a few years back and really enjoyed it, and it was free admission.