Thursday, October 2, 2014

Charleston-Day 2

So Sundays breakfast only went slightly smoother. Gavin managed to dump a bowl of cereal on the floor and bang his eye on the table. At least Chase was there this time!

Sundays weather was less predictable than Saturday. It was forecasted to rain most of the day, but we woke up to rain free skies and headed to The Battery after our before mentioned breakfast. The Battery was where the history of Charleston really hit home. 





Technically this was part of our walking on Saturday but I thought I would include it with the history from Sunday. This was the 4 corners and the old exchange. The top left is the church and federal building, top right is is the city building, and bottom left is the county building. The last picture is th old exchange building along with the plaque on the wall outside. 


I think this picture is self explanatory. The wall to the left was covered with initiation numbers from Pi Kapps across the country. Chase didn't care to write his. :)


I think that was called a mortar. Once again Emory asked lots of great questions. 


This was her favorite cannon because it was fired on her birthday April 13th in the year 1861. She had a hard time wrapping her head around the age of everything. To try and compare she said "daddy, how old is your car?!" Ha. Only 9 years. Practically an infant compared to the city of Charleston!


Finally, mommy gets to be in a picture! I'm always the one behind the camera!


I could not get over the massive trees and the beauty of this park! The pathways were made from oyster shells and Chase explained to Emory how the streets of Charleston were once all made the same way. The shells becoming ground over time. She loved it!


Such a cool tree. We always wonder what made a tree grow that way. What was in the way that it had to make that dip? 



These trees! The pictures do not do them justice!


Gavin was all about playing in the fountain and it's nasty water...yuck!


Oh look a good family picture of all of us!! And of course the beautiful trees! :)





Loved all those old houses!


So obviously, it was a little cloudy Sunday but you can still see the forts. Top left: fort Moultrie, top right: fort Sumter, bottom left: fort Johnson, and then the pretty sailboats (it was also very windy-so perfect for sailing). 

After our little tour of the Battery, we headed to lunch. The most anticipated part of this trip...we got to see Rachel!!!! A few days before we left I sent Rachel a text asking what we should do while we were there. She sent back "seriously?! I'm going to be there too!" I cried happy tears! I know God knew I needed to see her and I'm so glad I sent her a text! I would have been upset if I had found out later she had been there at the same time! It was the bridge I needed to get me to November and our girls only mountain trip!





We were all equally excited to see her. Well, I might have been the most excited but Emory and Chase would argue they were equally excited! :) we met for lunch at Jestines Kitchen on Meeting Street. It was very yummy and perfect for spending time to catch up with a dear friend!! When we are around family or friends it makes the distance seem much smaller. Counting the days until we see each other again. No really, I'm counting the days. I have an app on my phone! I'm just a little excited!!

We loved our time in Charleston and have added it to our ever growing list of places to visit kid free! :)



 



















No comments: