Friends are essential to life. Especially friends who tell you the truth, are there for you in the hard times, rejoice with you in the amazing times, and ones that take time away with you! I don't know what my life would be like without these women...and I have no intention of finding out.
A few months back we planned a girls trip to the mountains. As many of us as there are, it is hard to find a weekend that works for everyone. So we picked a date and marked our calendars. As time got closer, several people had things come up and had to cancel. We went from a group of 6 to a group of three. I'm not going to lie, I was a little bitter. My bitterness was coming from selfishness, I wanted to see my friends and their families needed them more. I wanted to be angry but decided that if I let my bitterness take over, it would steal my joy! I was still getting my weekend away with 2 of my closest friends! A much needed weekend away with friends I hadn't seen since June. When I was use to seeing them on a weekly basis 5 months is a VERY LONG time.
Thursday night we set out to meet at the bottom of the mountain before making the steep, windy trek to the top. Chase got home at 3:45 from a business trip and I left at 5:30. As much as I needed this trip, it was still very hard to leave my babies behind. But I knew Chase could handle it! Jessica's grandparents have a condo on Beech mountain, NC. Lucky for us it is roughly halfway between Nashville and Goldsboro. We met around 10:15pm and headed up the mountain. One would think after driving for 4 hours and it being late when we arrived, we would just go to bed. Nope. We stayed up until 2 just talking. We had 5 months of separation to make up for in a span of 3 days!!
We woke up to this Friday morning and decided we would stay indoors and make all our apple goodies! Jessica is my canning buddy and apples are our favorite thing to do.
Laura may kill me for posting this picture...she was our cheerleader and food getter while Jess and I made our applesauce and apple butter!
While the results are very yummy, it was exhausting!! We ended the night with Harry Potter Clue. Such a fun night. It is very hard to play that game and not speak in a British accent! We are nerds, I know!
Saturday morning was beautiful and we decided it was a perfect day for a hike. After breakfast we set out for Linville Falls.
It was a great hike...slightly steep in parts but we had perfect weather and the colors this time of year are amazing!!
This was where the trail led us and we ended up venturing down further to see the falls.
I was so afraid my camera was going to end up in the water. The man taking the picture was a little unsure of what he was doing! This is the only picture we got of the 3 of us that isn't a selfie!
The second trail we took was the overlook to the falls. There were several other trails to take but our stomachs were guiding us towards food and we had Dan'l Boone Inn in our sights!! We figured we had already burned the calories we were about to consume!
Before heading to lunch we took a scenic "detour" down the blue ridge parkway. When I see the colors of Fall and these beautiful mountains I can't help but think "now God is just showing off!"
After lunch we headed to the original Mast General Store. This place has been open since the 1800s! Crazy!
This was the sunset we came home too! We ended our night with not so great football, apple pie making, and nerd games (settlers of catan)!
Unfortunately we had to say goodbye on Sunday morning. We have already started planning our next girls trip! Going to miss these girls. Luckily they are only a phone call away!






























No comments:
Post a Comment