Its been quite a year for the Martin clan. While not every month was memorable we certainly made some memories.
Let's review...
January: Well not much happened. I turned 31 not very significant except Chase pointed out I was now IN my 30s (all the while he is still 29...yep I robbed the cradle).
February: nada. Ok maybe marriage retreat with our church and the first time for me to leave Gavin overnight. Emory was 22 months before I left her, Gavin was 8 months.
March: again, nothing..
April: ok now we're talking...we traveled to Birmingham to go to the Dave Matthews concert the first weekend in April. Great time spent just the 2 of us plus I love watching my husband be so happy. And to say he likes Dave Matthews is a gross understatement!!! The Monday after the concert we got quite a big surprise...baby #3 is on the way! Let me explain. It took us nearly 2 years to get pregnant with Gavin. Not an easy time. So we decided we would stop preventing when my doctor told me it was ok. She said she wanted me to wait 9 months to a year. So very jokingly, the weekend Gavin turned 9 months, Chase said "oh we can start trying now!" Well the joke was on us...we got pregnant 2 weeks later! Another big event--Emory turned 5! I seriously can not believe she's 5! She is growing up WAY TOO fast!!
May: We celebrated 8 years of marriage! Where has the time gone?! I love spending everyday of my life with Chase. I've said it before that not everyday is roses but I couldn't imagine "doing life" without him. He keeps me grounded and reminds me it's ok to let go and have fun every now and then.
June: oh this was a big one...Gavin turned ONE! That boy has kept us on our toes since the day we found out we were pregnant. He was worth the wait and was the answer to our prayers! We love him and the little man he is becoming. I love watching him learn new things even when it is learning to climb onto something he couldn't the day before...see he keeps us on our toes!
July: This was a very busy month for us. Chase and I went to Asheville, NC for a business trip/fun trip. Sort of a babymoon I guess. It was the second time we have been there and I loved it just as much as the first time. We did more of the outdoor stuff this time. While I was slightly limited we still had a great time. I love Asheville and could live there but that's not going to happen anytime soon so Nashville it is...for now! A week after getting home from Asheville, we went to the beach with my family. Hectic but fun! And a few days later...
August: it was August and our oldest "baby" started kindergarten!! She was so excited...at first...then reality set in and we had a rough transition. In her defense they start at the crack of dawn and she's not an early riser! Plus I think she hadn't really thought about what 8 hours a day, 5 days a week, really meant! I don't think I had either! :/ Chase turned 30!!! We didn't do anything special. He traveled to High Falls, his "favorite place in the world," to jump off cliffs and satisfy the teenage boy within! :) That's what makes him happy and like I said before, I love watching him be happy!!
September: another month that didn't have much. We did have another first for Emory...her first sleepover. The girls next door are not much older (one is in 1st grade and the other one is in 3rd grade) and they play together all the time. So I got brave and said yes to letting them spend the night. It went better than I expected. They watched a movie and went to bed relatively easy. Only problem was they were up at 6:45! I mentioned we were not early risers in this house! Anyway, Chase even made pancakes for breakfast before the girls went home.
October: Gavin took his first steps back in September but decided that walking was going to be his primary mode of transportation the first week of Fall break...we were in Birmingham and Chase was in Nashville. Oh and Emory lost her first tooth that same week too! Two major milestones and my children decide to do them while we aren't with their daddy too! Emory also went on her first field trip! I of course couldn't miss it so I drug my 8 month pregnant butt to the pumpkin patch with the entire kindergarten class at Stoner Creek Elementary. It wasn't the best pumpkin patch I've been too but the kids had fun and that's what really matters! Emory also had her first camping experience with her daddy in our backyard.
November: We hosted Thanksgiving this year since I couldn't travel at 37 weeks pregnant. We even used the fine china!! First time it's been used since we got married 8 years ago!
December: What a busy month!! we certainly went out with a bang! Honestly it's been kind of a blur! December 11th we welcomed the 5th member of our little family, Riley Kate. So baby's first Christmas was spent in Nashville with family coming to us. Nice change for once! I can't believe she is 3 weeks old already. It's hard to imagine life without her. Other than I know I got more sleep before her arrival!
Here's to the new year!! What are my resolutions?! I want to be more intentional with my family. Spend more quality time together and less time glued to my phone or iPad when they are around. Make lots of memories together!



No comments:
Post a Comment