I really can't believe it! Did she really start kindergarten last week?! She just looks so grown up! She was so excited to go, I just hope it continues because as of right now she gets up pretty easily. We will see how easy it is a few weeks from now. Unfortunately our school starts at the crack of dawn...7:15! Ugh, I'm not looking forward to waking her up so early 5 days a week! Luckily she is going to be riding to school with the girls next door and then riding the bus home so I don't have to wake Gavin up to get her to school! I would let her ride the bus to school but it comes into the neighborhood at 6:15! With her carpooling it means I don't have to wake her up until 6:15. Seriously, don't they know kids function better with sleep!!
| Walking into the school on her first day! |
| In front of the school |
| In front of her classroom...we were holding up the line or I would have retaken this picture. Her teacher is Mrs. Hamrick. |
| Playing in the classroom before parents had to leave. |
I've heard that a parent really only has those first 5 years to lay a foundation. After that their peers have more influence. I hope that isn't true, but it begs the question "Did we do enough?" Have we instilled in her the right character, virtues, taught her from right and wrong, have we loved her enough?! My devotional reading today was on Proverbs 22:6 "Direct your children onto the right path and when they are older they will not leave it."
Parenting is hard and it's only going to get harder. This past weekend after a slightly stressful event my sister-in-law Haley exclaimed "this was not what I signed up for!" to which my brother-in-law said "did any of us?!" Seriously though?! Did any of us think it was going to be easy or even this hard for that matter. I knew there would be challenges along the way, with increased difficulty as my children get older. However, I wouldn't trade a minute!
I have learned several things in the past five years of being a parent. (I'm sure more lessons are to be learned)
1) Never say Never!!! I learned this one very early. Don't deny it! You have said the dreaded "never" word before and regretted it later. For instance..."I will never let my child sleep in the bed with me"--well when that is the ONLY place they sleep, meaning it's the ONLY way you get sleep (albeit not good sleep) then you let them sleep there! Or "My child will never have a pacifier." Well Emory finally gave hers up right after she turned 3 and Gavin sure does love his! I wonder how long the 3rd one will have theirs? Or how about this one - "my child will never act like that especially in public." Honestly, sometimes no matter how well you "train" your children in public, sometimes they meltdown and you are "that" parent. We've all been there. So that smile we send your way is saying "I'm so sorry. Here's a hug!" And to the old lady giving you the condescending stare...Oh you know their child did it too but it's been so long they've forgotten that their perfect, now adult, child ever did anything wrong! Ha!
2) It really does take a village to raise a child! We have been truly blessed with the friends that we have made here in Nashville. I know that I could call anyone of them at 2am and they would do anything for us. It actually brings tears to my eyes to think about the love our friends have for our family. Without them I would have gone crazy a long time ago!
3) I have come to realize that when my relationship with Chase is great, I'm a better parent. WE are better parents because we are a team. This is not knocking single parents by any means. They are in a league of their own and deserve SOOO much praise! However, if you are married and have children make sure you are still focusing on your marriage. Spend QUALITY time together to focus on one another. I know that if I am frustrated with Chase about something that same attitude reflects on my parenting that day. Like I said earlier, parenting is not easy and the issues we face are only going to get harder, so we need to face this together as a united front. We are by no means perfect, but we are learning!
4) Without my faith in Christ I would be NOWHERE! We LOVE our church. I grew up in the church but I was never challenged like I am here. Meaning, reading my Bible wasn't something I felt I really needed to do. Our pastor puts a big emphasis on getting in the word and writing the words on your heart on a DAILY basis, so when the enemy attacks, you are prepared. I don't know where we would be without The Bridge Fellowship. The friends we have made here are truly lifelong friendships. They are friends that will cry with us, laugh with us, tell us when we are right, but more importantly they are friends that will tell us when we are wrong. My relationship with Christ has certainly gotten stronger since moving to Nashville because of these friends and the influence of The Bridge Fellowship. (and to think I didn't want to move here AT ALL and now I don't want to leave) With all the emotional ups and downs getting pregnant with Gavin, I learned (not quickly I will add) that leaning on Jesus in the ONLY way to get through life. He is not a crutch He is my stronghold!
Like I said, I'm sure the lessons will continue!!
Sorry, this isn't my usual post but as I was journaling this the other night I thought "I should blog this, maybe someone else needs to read it too."


No comments:
Post a Comment