Friday, November 21, 2008

Excuses

The thought occurred to me the other day, on my way home from work, that before Emory, my house and the rest of my "domestic" life really had no excuse to not be in order!! What excuses did I use then? I mean really! I have always been a nurse which means I work full time but not really! The first shift I worked was 3-11 7on/7off. Which means I worked 7 days in a row, Monday-Sunday and I was off 7 days in a row! It was wonderful yet my house should have been spotless and my clothes always clean, yet that was not the case. Then I started working 3, 12-hour day shifts. Still, no excuse. Now when we moved to Nashville, I started working nights, which will put a kink in yours plans if you don't have a few days off in a row. Otherwise, I would just sleep but never feel like I had slept enough! Now I work 2, 12-hour shifts one week and 3, 12-hour shifts the next week, day shift. And right now, I'm not working any weekends. But now I have a baby and I really do have an excuse to have a "messy" house.

Last Thursday when I was one my way home from work, I was trying to think of everything I had to do before we left to go out of town...again! I had to pack our bags, pack the car, laundry, clean the house, make baby food, wash bottles, the list goes on. Not to mention feed Emory every 4 hours. I was hoping that Emory would take two good naps for me. Because on a good day I have 4 hours of uninterrupted time to get things done or do something for myself, like take a shower! Now, Emory is definitely getting better at entertaining herself but I hate leaving her sitting on the floor by herself while I do something that could wait! She's just so darn cute and fun and we have so much fun playing and reading books and listening to her "talk." I must admit though, that if I didn't play on the computer as much I could get more done. But it just sucks me in!

I am sure that most of the moms reading this have had the same thought. The thing is, if I asked Chase to take on some of the responsibility he would gladly, well I don't know about gladly, but he would help out. BUT, I am slightly OCD and like things done a certain way, and he doesn't do them that certain way! So things would get done but I would feel the need to do them again, so it wouldn't have saved me anytime! I should probably try to lighten up but I can't!

So what I guess I am trying to say is that if you come to my house and see a little dust bunny in the corner, just ignore it because I really do have a GREAT excuse these days! :)


See, how can you resist that face?!

1 comment:

Whitney said...

Erin
Your housework will always be there...but Emory will be grown up before you realize it! YOu need NO excuses. YOu are a wonderful mom to a beautiful baby- just enjoy it. My motto "why do today what you can put off until tomorrow!!" haha. Hope you have a wonderful THanksgiving!!! love you girlie!! ~whitney