So far, I have LOVED being pregnant. Sometimes I even forget that I am until someone asks me when I'm due and I look down and say "oh, April 14th." It's like I have to look down at my growing belly to remind me that I'm pregnant. Or, I'm reminded when I walk by the mirror and see my side profile or at the end of a 12-hour shift at the hospital (that's when I think my belly might just fall to the floor if I don't sit down or help hold it up!).
I have enjoyed the attention, well the positive attention, of being pregnant. People seem to be much nicer to pregnant women. I like being able to eat what I want (in moderation of course) and not really worry about what it will do to my weight. Most of the time I can justify whatever it is by saying "but the baby needs it," Chase usually gives in at that point. For example, ice cream...the baby needs the calcium that's in the ice cream, just forget about all the sugar or the fact that it's a really small amount of calcium!
However, there are some downsides to being pregnant. We just moved about a month ago so of course with moving there is a lot of packing and, well, moving. But when you're pregnant you can't pick up anything heavier than a toothpick it seems, so that makes it difficult to move the box full of dishes! I am not one to admit defeat very easily and hate having to ask people for help, it makes me feel helpless. Also, I find it hard to do as much as I use too. I can't clean the house all day or unpack boxes all day to get the house ready for baby Emory's arrival. I have to do it in stages or I am exhausted and end up having small contractions and have to remind myself that I have to slow down.
The biggest downside, well more of an annoyance, associated with pregnancy, and the reason I started writing this entry at 4:45 in the morning, is when people think it is their place to tell you, you look big! Now don't get me wrong, I know that I am not my size 4 anymore but I am not huge by any means. I mean I have only gained 20 lbs and I wore my pre-pregnancy jeans up until I was in my 7th month! I think that's saying something.
Some of these people are complete strangers and some are people I know. For example, about a month ago, I was in line at Milo's in Vestavia, AL and the lady behind the counter said "how far along are you?" To which my reply at the time was, "28wks." She then proceeds to say "that's going to be a big baby!" REALLY!? Where does a complete stranger get off telling me that she thinks I look big!? Others, even people I know, will tell me, "wow, you've gotten so big!"
Let me express how much us pregnant women hate to be called "big." We know that we are pregnant and carrying a human life around with us and that tends to make us slightly larger then we use to be. We realize that I promise. However, "big" is not a word to say to a pregnant women, no matter what you think. It is also not acceptable to say "are they sure it's not twins?" Yes they're sure it's not twins, but thank you for making me feel like the size of a house!! or, "you're never going to make it to your due date" yes I am thank you very much!
I am almost afraid of what people are going to reply after I have told them how far along I am. I have learned to brace myself for the comment that follows and are overjoyed when someone says "really, you're that far along, wow you're so small!" To those people I give a very grateful thank you and genuine smile. To those that reply with "wow, only 32 weeks," well they get a "hmmm, yes, she's growing" with a sort of force smile, definitely no thank you is involved in that conversation.
So thank you very much to those of you who have never felt the urge to tell your friend or a complete stranger that they are big or look like they are carrying twins. We appreciate the comments like, "wow you look great!" or "your little belly is so cute" (just don't over use that one). The important thing to remember is that "big" is NOT a good word!
Ranting complete...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


2 comments:
Erin, I don't know if you will appreciate me commenting on your blog or not...hmmm? Mardi was looking at it last night at work and I have to say that you are hilarious. In this one blog entry you have captured exactly what I wished I could have said to people when I was pregnant. Looking back at pics of myself when I was prego with Caleb, I have to admit to myself that I think what people meant was, 'Wow, you are big- as in your stomach is big!' but what I heard was 'Man you are fat and had better stop eating cause you're doing something wrong!!!!' So, thanks for so eloquently stating how pregnant women feel about the dirty word big!!!!
by-the-way, check out our blog (if you want) at drewandlaura.blogspot.com!
Post a Comment